Subject: Re: [Leica] Why we use Leica (was potential image quality)
From: Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 1998 07:17:43 -0400

[ . . .]
>You don't see a lot of delivery businesses driving Mercedes.
>
>Tom
	Just for the record:
	Locally, they use a digital Nikon with a zoom.
	Seems the budget was justified for the faster
	turnaround of the digital format, which already
	is above what the presses can turn out as to quality.
	I'd rate the photography as acceptable, currently,
	definitely not great nor remarkable.
	The whole photo deal is handled by a sub-contractor:
	they make money, the job is "OK",
	but "photography" it is not.

	Seems to me, also, that Leica attracts a far more
	sophisticated type of photographer
	who might not make it in the photo-journalism
	business as the objectives differ widely.

	In Quebec City (Le Soleil) and Montreal (Journal de Montreal),
	the photography proper is far more interesting,
	sometimes really impressive.
	But i'd flip backwards would those people use Leica.

	Leica M would be an excellent choice, and make a lot of sense
	if durability and dependability are factored in,
	on a long term cost of use approach.
	That's for the available light photographer in me.

	To my mind, photo-journalism demands TTL flash
	capability as a high percentage of the shooting
	situations demand extra lighting or serious lighting control.

	Believe me or not, I'd tend to think of it all
	as an Hasselblad 503CW/Winder CW /CF50 /CF100
	/CF180 (perhaps one longer lens) /D40 flash /45=F8 angle visor
	ideal application, with a very DEPENDABLE 35mm as back-up,
	one with rather fast motor, TTL, auto-bracketing and autofocus,
	if ever presented such a business opportunity,
	over and above digital "solutions".

	Though I've been a rangefinder photographer [Rollei 35]
	for half my life, with a Nikkormat FTn too, now FM2,
	a Leica M probably would "fall" second
	to a Nikon F4s based system for high pressure photo-journalism.
	I hope you'll forgive me for the Nikon slant.

	Obviously, i FULLY appreciate the magnificent Leica products
	and product envy sure is not lacking, believe me !

	Andre Jean Quintal

Love one another.