Subject: Re: [Leica] Inappropriate use of LUG for personal communicatio
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 12:42:10 +0100

Mary wrote:
>Second problem.  The Noctilux itself, which I got new with pull-out
>shade, is somewhat stiff to focus and slows me down.  Is this normal?  I
>don't want to have is loosened unless it's necessary.  Will it get
>smoother with use???  Also, I get some vignetting when I use it wide
>open.  Is this normal?  Maybe it should be used stopped down one?>>>>>

Hi Mary,

I'm sure the lens will loosen somewhat the more you use it.  You might try
cranking it back and forth several times to "loosen it". But I think it's
as much a "getting used to" handling more than a problem.

As far as the vignetting. That's part of the "Noctilux look" as it does
it's thing wide open. In many cases it's an enhancement, as though you
burned in the corners and edges of a print. It is more obvious when the
background is "sky" or some other light shade.

The Noctilux is made to use wide open and if you find you are not going to
use it that way very often, may I suggest you sell it for a slower 50mm
lens. Simply because the Noctilux being so expensive due to it's f1.0
aperture, it seems a shame to tie-up the money and not use it for it's
ultimate speed. Could save you a considerable amount of money you could put
to another use.

However, being a long time Noctilux user in "available darkness" picture
taking I'd have second thoughts about getting rid of it for a slower lens.

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant