Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: which R lens from 35 to 50?
From: Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 18:00:14 -0400

At 21:40 +0200 05/08/98, Pascal wrote:
>On 05-08-1998 18:07 Francesco Sanfilippo wrote:
[ . . . ]

>I would like to second this question. Apart from considerations about
>price and the extra f-stop, which of the two 50mm lenses (Summicron or
>new Summilux) gives the best "raw performance"? I realize the two lenses
>cannot be fully compared, but still...
>Pascal

	Come on guys !
	Rush to your favorite Leica dealer, ask the privilege of trying the
lenses
	by yourselves: i'm convinced you'll get a real kick out of it
	and that your own results will support the purchase decision.
	Don't run away with the stuff, though !     ;+)

	These LEICA lenses provide stratospheric performance
	and reach such levels that, at one point, sooner or later,
	it's going to be YOUR move and I'm 100% sure
	you'll be enchanted by either model for a whole lot of
	reasons and the "feel", your needs and style too.

	WE will enjoy your reporting how you went about it,
	each your own way. As for me, a 50mm is a low priority
	and would definitely rather "peep" at the 75 - 100 mm
	range models, given a "basic" 35mm.

	You asked for comments at f/2 . But the real top level
	output would be in the f/8 - f/11 range, especially the new one.

	I've been checking my slides and it seems i generally prefer f/5.6-f/8
	ones, privately, and i've been trying to get to understand why,
	ultimate resolution not being my top priority,
	neither widest aperture. There's something more to photography
	than science, at one point.

	The preliminary "inside" are that the new 50mm f/1.4 Summilux
	is a shocking and luminous experience, even for blase and spoiled
	long-time "maniac" Leica users who probably NOW are trying to figure
	some excuse to get one as soon as possible,
	even if the model name and widest aperture remain the same.
	We don't use f/1.4 all that much, but it's a useful option:
	for a revealing discriminant test shoot,
	try the NEW Summilux between
	f/5.6 - f/11: whatever your previous Leica experience,
	aperture for aperture, you'll FLIP !
	[ Have a friend use the older version, while you use the new one
	on a deliberate "walk in the city" or favorite photo op location,
	favorite film... OK, let the friend try the new one first ! ]

	"Leica has done it again." Gimmie !  Gimmie !  Gimmie !

	I may enjoy toying with my old Nikon, but i'm not THAT stupid !

	$ome thing$ you get to wait for "the right time" to come your way:
	now it's Y-O-U-R turn, lucky dogs !

	Andre Jean Quintal.

	PS: Mine real soon, though, before Christmas : Leica R8 blk, oh yes !

Love one another.
ICQ : 166 066 16
megamax@abacom.com
andrequintal@mailcity.com