Subject: [Leica] Leica Photography
From: cmiller@berkshire.net (Curt Miller,EMW)
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 20:48:18 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Group -

I've been kicking around an idea for a while that I'd like to throw out to
the group.

I would be very interested in creating a mailing list group of Leicaphiles
who are interested in discussing _photography_ with the Leica - as
distinctly different and separate from Leica _cameras_ as is discusssed in
LUG.  By this I mean, I'd like to get together with folks who use Leicas and
are involved, engaged and critical photographers (not necessarily
expert-level photographers either) who want to push the envelope,
so-to-speak in their craft.  Experiences, special techniques, processes and
creative ideas can all be explored.

What I'm NOT looking to do is to get going a discussion group that discusses
how many elements there are in a first version Summicron-M 50mm or what type
of lenshood is used on a 1934 Summar.  And, particularly, I'm not looking to
start a group with lots of two-line back-and-forth banter like: "...next
time you bring the beer and I'll bring the film" sort of thing.  We're
talking about robust and serious dialogue between serious individuals
committed to improving their photography with Leica cameras.

My perception is that by batching together a bunch of interested folks, we
can just respond, if we choose to enter the discussion at hand, by replying
to all the members of the group through email addresses.  I'm not
considering getting any special mailer like Majordomo or anything fancy like
that.

I have been working with Leica cameras (mostly M) for the past five years
(of my 35 in photography) and have enjoyed a new and profound spark in my
photographic life.  I work in black and white almost exclusively (though I
did shoot a roll of Elite 200 Chrome last week in Denver because Kodak sent
it to me for free).  Two galleries hang my work.  I also have been working
with pyro developer for the past year, with tremendous success.  While I use
MF for about a third of my work, most of my most impressive images come from
my Leicas.  It is in this spirit, and with these interests, that I invite
others to write me showing an indication of interest in getting together in
a mail group.  I will be gone next week (teaching a course in Black & White
photography), but if we don't get together this week, I'll collect messages
and addresses and we can start up real soon.

Regards,

Curt
cmiller@berkshire.net