Subject: [Leica] 90mm Elmarit year of production?
From: "Jim Cheatham" <jcheatham@lex.lib.sc.us>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 17:41:47 -0400

I just bought a 90mm/f2.8 Elmarit-M lens and am having a hard time
figuring out when it was made.  The serial number is 3,464,XXX.  In
addition to the serial number there is the following on the lens: E46
Elmarit M 1:2.8/90.

Sartorius gives this serial number as being produced in 1988.  I have
found reference to this lens as not even being introduced until 1989
(Camera Quest) or in 1990 (Photosite).  Is the lens I bought the latest
optical design still being produced?

Can any of you help clarify this for me?  Is there a reference source
anyone could recommend?

Thanks in advance. - Jim Cheatham