Subject: [Leica] Leica M versus R for Scenics
From: Doug Herr <71247.3542@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 21:49:22 -0400

On Thu, 06 Aug 1998, Robert G. Stevens wrote:

>On the first few hikes of about 7km and 14km, I took my R7 with four
lenses and a >tripod in a Lowepro ProTrecker backpack.  All the gear
weighed probably about 30 >pounds or 15kg.  After these hikes I found I w=
as
exhausted and very sore.  I also >noted that I used the 35mm lens the mos=
t,
probably followed by the 28-70.  I had >taken the 70-210 out to use, but
found it just did not fit the bill.  I had also not used >the macro lens
and the tripod only once.  =

<SNIP>

>The moral of the story is not to burden yourself down with unnecessary
>equipment when doing scenic and tourist type shots.  Take the energy you=

>save by using the M system when possible and use it to walk longer, see
>more, and get more pictures.

Robert,

Over the years I've accumulated an embarrasing quantity of Leica-R gear a=
nd
I've gradually (as the stuff accumulated) enjoyed photography less.  Thou=
gh
the "new" 280 f/4.8 was very handy on my family vacation in the Rockies, =
on
extended hikes I've deliberately limited the stuff I carry to whatever wi=
ll
fit in my old fanny pack; usually one body and the 35 and 90mm Summicrons=
=2E =

I really hope the new 90 Summicron-R (if one appears) weighs less.

When I expect to encounter wildlife (my photographic passion) the 400 f/6=
=2E8
is my lens and I'll carry little else besides the SL and a few Kodachrome=
s.
 I'm still having a hard time deciding to sell the excess stuff (R4s, R4s=
P,
2 winders).

- -Doug