Subject: [Leica] Street / candid photography
From: "Ron K. Miller" <rkmiller001@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 1998 23:07:43 -0700

Tina:

Based on Carl's $0.02s touting the various experts we have on the LUG, I
thought you could answer a few things on street and perhaps candid
photography.

I've been recently chastised by relatives for taking an opportunistic
snap of a minor media celebrity (mirror reflection in dark restaurant)
with my M6 35mm. Apparently I needed his/her permission for taking a
snap.  While I do this discretely (as quietly as an M6 can whisper) and
quickly shooting one frame,  I suspect this may infringes on people's
privacy eventhough the person did not know he/she was being
photographed.  How else can one get a candid of anyone if you have to go
up to the person (stranger) and when you dont have the time to strike up
a conversation and have that person get comfortable with a camera in
his/her face?

How do you approach your subjects (strangers or familiar community)?
Side question: what B&W film do you use?

Thanks in advance!