Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Photography
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 17:00:03 -0700

Carl Socolow wrote:

>The one thing I've found with some of the other groups, particularly,
>photoforum, is how nasty it is. There are raging egomaniacs and
>condescending attitudes. Who needs that crap? Photography is not just
>equipment and it is not just technique. It is a continuum. I truly
>believe we cover much of the range of that continuum here in the LUG.

I can certainly second that. After being active on Photoforum for a while
(which I thought would be a good place to discuss the artistic and
philosophical aspects of photography), I only lurked and then left it
because of the towering ego thing. It was no fun. Largely because of that I
don't post much in the way of such material to any of the lists I'm now
part of. It's nice to talk about such things, but my experiences don't lead
me to expect much from the internet in this area. If anyone knows of a
mailing list or discussion group that handles this in a generally agreeable
fashion, I'd like to hear of it and listen for a while. I'm part of various
mailinglists on various brands that I own, and MF, panorama and IR
photography (LF seems moribund), but most civil groups tend to focus more
on equipment than taking picture.

And anyways, when I get tired of the LUG, any of the other lists or of
commercial assignments, I can usually find a camera, set myself a challenge
and actually take some pictures for myself :-).

For what it's worth, I've also been a witness to some acrimonious camera
club discussions on the same topics.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com