Subject: Re: [Leica] End of the line
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 1998 11:59:39 -0700

Erwin wrote:

>With a little sadness I tell all of you that I stop contributing to the LUG.
<snip>
>The prevailing discourse on the LUG the last twelve months shows that there
>seems to be no learning curve in Leica facts and figures. That is a pity
>and ultimately selfdestructive.

Erwin,

I'm sorry to hear that you will be leaving. Such a very informed and as
near as possible objective report on various technical aspects of
photography as you have provided is extremely rare. Only in very few cases
do we use our equipment to the limits, but it is necessary to know those
limits to understand how far we can push things. You have given us that
solid basis, and I believe your technical credibility is second to none.

As for the lack of perceived learning curve; I personally don't think it's
as bad as you seem to feel. This group changes, and many of the present
contributors and questioners were not here a year ago, so their questions
and doubts (and your answers) are new to them. Of course, in any group of
this size some people are less willing to learn than others, but that's
predictable.

I've been to your website a number of times, and will be again.It's not the
same. Your postings here on the LUG have a lot wider distribution to Leica
users, and whether or not they comment on your postings, your credibility
will cause them to take notice (and learn, if capable).

Most of us use Leicas because we like the results better than pictures
taken with other equipment. Learning why we like them helps us use them
more effectively. Your reports provide us with a solid basis for that
knowledge, and yours are the sort of reports that magazines such as Popular
Photography and Chausseur d'Image never provide.

Please reconsider. Your leaving would be a big loss.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com