Subject: Re: [Leica] Sekonic 308 (was Gossen Luna-Pro Digi F)
From: Charles Babington <cbabing3@swbell.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 1998 19:14:17 -0500

Dennis Painter wrote:
> I, and maybe others, would appreciate your observations on how quickly
> the Gossen will be ready to meter.

I don't have a Luna-Pro Digi F so can't comment on its turn-on time, but
my Sekonic 308B is ready to meter in UNDER 2 seconds from the time you
press the power button, and for about 1 second of that time it's showing
a battery check display.  There were some comments in earlier posts
about how it SEEMS to take forever to come on when you're trying to use
an M in a hurry (on topic), and that's the way I feel about it too.  But
it is a delightfully small and lightweight meter with good low light
response and the most common battery.

For instant-on response I use a Quantum CalcuLight XP, which is about
the same volume as the Sekonic (a bit shorter but a bit thicker), weighs
an ounce more (4.5 vs. 3.5 oz on my postal scale) and has a calculator
dial, which I like, although setting the dial adds to the time it takes
to get the final exposure answer.  Also, my Quantum doesn't do flash
(some do, but I've heard they're clunky to use), and takes 4 of the less
common S76 batteries (although they're supposed to last forever, because
they only light the LED readout for the time you're pressing the meter
or recall buttons.)  The Quantum is also less than half the price of the
Sekonic at B&H, and I found mine used for even less.

Hope this helps in your decision making.

Cheers,
Kip Babington