Subject: Fwd: [Leica] Light Meters
From: apbc <apbc@public1.sta.net.cn>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 98 16:58:27 +0800

Michael Garmisa wrote,
>what attachment do you use for taking reflected readings?  I've
>been using the one designed to cover the 50mm feild of view but have > been
wondering if i should use something a little more narrow.  I
> primary use a
>50mm summicron but also have a 90 collaps elmar (I use the incident
>dome
>with the 90)

Michael,

I use the little disc with the hole in it that comes with the meter but I
used to have one of the 'spot' attachments: 10 degrees I think. I found
it too broad and too slow to use. If you want a precise reflected light
meter I think a spot meter such as Minolta's Spotmeter F is best - with a
readout in the viewfinder.

Alternatively any decent modern camera's TTL meter is at least as good as
the vague waving about in the general direction of the subject that most
reflected light meters offer IMHO. Of course if you are using an old
Leica without a meter and want a reflected light meter more than an
incident meter and you are using shorter lenses then the Gossen or
Sekonic under discussion may be fine: without a viewfinder and precisely
aimable field of measurement any reflected light meter can be misleading
and I would not count on the existing disk being all that close to yr
50mm field of view. If compactness is key then one of the Leicameters may
be a good solution and might be a good complement to yr Minolta.

IME an incident meter is the best solution in 99% of cases with
experienced guesses, bracketing and occasional reflected light readings
sorting out the rest.

Best regards

Adrian

Adrian Bradshaw