Subject: Re: [Leica] Using the original Leicaflex
From: FIGLIO4CAP@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 04:14:28 EDT

<< Any words of advice would be appreciated - FAST. >>
I have the original Leicaflex and a couple SLs, R3's, R4s, and an R6. The
screen on the Leicaflex is very bright but you can only focus in the center
circle, thus depth of field observation through the lens is not as easy as it
is with the later Leica SLR's. For general landscape photography, the light
meter is quite adequate especially for wide angle to normal lenses. Fo longer
lenses I would use a handheld spot meter.  A favorite combination of mine is
the Leicaflex with the 35mm F2.8 lens. This combination is inexpensive (for
Leica), is a delight to use and produces wonderful images.
The feel of the camera is perhaps the best of the Leica SLR's to me. It is
heavy and smooth. The SL also feels good but not quite as good. From then on
it is downhill in the "feel" department. Of course, that is only my opinion
and I'm sure many others would have a different opinion. It is a basic camera
with many of the delights that you get from the M series but in a SLR and not
many of the subsequent pleasures that the later generation SLR's have.
BUT, if you want to use longer lenses or do close-up work, then you should
wait for an SL model.
Hope this helps

Bob