Subject: [Leica] Is 35mm "limiting?"
From: Erich Champion <echampio@Adobe.COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 18:33:33 -0700

Hi,

There's no question that Leitz optics allow you to get the best possible
performance out of a 24mm x 35mm piece of film, but there are still limits to
that performace. When you're talking about optics by Leitz, Schneider and
Zeiss, the film is really the limiting factor. If resolution is of paramount
concern in your photography, and you currently shoot architechture, landscapes
or portraits with ISO 50 film, then you may eventually find 35mm film to be
limiting. If you shoot people or wildlife in dynamic situations with ISO 400
film, then your style of photography probably would find the large size and
weight of a medium format SLR system more limiting than the loss of resolution
and gradation due to film size. After all, if you can't capture a picture,
resolution doesn't matter.

> From: Mary & Stan Kephart <kephartol@att.net>
> Date: Wed, 12 Aug 98 11:48:01 -0500
> Subject: Re: [Leica] Enlarger V35
>
> August 12, 1998
>
> Gary Tardoff wrote today:
>
> >I did a 16x20 group portrait from a Summicron DR 50 at f8 on Ilford Delta
> >100 - WOW!
>
> This partially answers a question I have about staying with 35MM.  I've
> mentioned to several photographers I know that I'm in the market for a
> V35 enlarger.  They seem to think it's "limiting"--that eventually I'll
> want to go to a larger format.  One voice of reason, a fellow Leica-user
> finds the resolution so good with the Leica lenses that the larger format
> is not necessary.
>
> [...]
>
> Feedback anyone?
>
> Mary

- --
Erich Champion : mailto:echampio@adobe.com  : 408.536.6497 Voice
User Education : Adobe Systems Incorporated : 408.537.4040 Fax
- --