Subject: Re: [Leica] Ilford Film & Developer
From: "A. Huntley" <prasepe@ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 11:47:44 -0400

In digest #243, Martin Howard wrote:

>I would like to hear if anyone has experience
>of Ilford films (such as FP4+, HP5+, Delta 100 & 400) and X-Tol
>developer, and what that experience is.

Martin,
I've been using Ilford's Delta 100 in both 35mm and mf for quite some =
time and find it to be a truly astonishing film; BEAUTIFUL tonal range, =
high sharpness, and (in 35mm) grainless prints to 8x12!  It would =
probably go larger, but 8x12 is about as big as I print (35mm).  I =
develop all Ilford films (BTW, I love 'em all!) in ID-11 at 1:1.  I ran =
sensitometric tests (this ought to get some email flying!) on the Delta =
100 through Darkroom Innovations (here in the USA) and determined that =
ISO 64 would be a good exposure index and about 8:45 to 9 mins in ID-11 =
@ 1:1 provided proper development...I think Ilford recommends something =
like 10-11 mins!  Waaay to long for the beautiful contrasty =
characteristics of Leica M lenses-IMHO!!  I'm sure Xtol would give =
similar results...start with Father Yellow's recommendations and adjust.

Hope this helps.  By the way, I used to be a dyed-in-the-wool Tri-X =
user, but those velvety tones from Delta 100 coaxed me away.  Still use =
Tri-X for large format though...does anyone still use LF?  Now...for =
really smooth tonal gradations, etc. lets talk 8x10 contact, but that's =
waaaay off topic!

Good luck.  Best, AH
=00