Subject: RE: [Leica] Split field density
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 22:48:45 -0600

At 09:31 PM 15/08/98 -0400, you wrote:

<excerpt>

<smaller> It seems my veiled attempt at humor has escaped you (G.H.). I
realize the ideal use of the split density filter and use my set of 4
singh-rays regularly.I have both the hard and soft edge with 2 and 3 stop
differential and use them on my 6X7 and Cahnam  (4X5)View, I make my
living this way. However, there are times when extreme cold and rugged
terrain mandate a light non-electric camera for which the M is well
suited.

Don't tell me the technique can't be done-- I've done it with careful
bracketing. I would just like a bit more repeatable result and was

</smaller>

</excerpt><<<<<<<<

You asked for, and you got, some friendly advice.  If critical alignment
is of any concern to you at all, put your Singh Rays on an SLR, and align
stopped down.  You get the added advantage of being able to meter TTL,
and flash TTL, without having to make any crude estimates or have to
bracket and hope that you get what you wanted.

   With the rangefinder you can only approximate what you are trying to
achieve.  If you do this enough with an SLR, you can get a "feel" for
roughly where to place the ND filters, but, like I said before, without
meaning to be rude, some techniques lend themselves better to SLRs.  Why
force this on a rangefinder without a Visoflex?  Rangefinders are good
for other things.  Use them for their strengths.

    Extreme cold and rugged terrain is what I am used to as well.   An
R6.2 will serve nicely in the cold, rugged situation you described, as
would some electronic cameras with spare batteries and a backup manual
body.  There's no point in making things any more difficult than
necessary.  It's like trying to use a rangefinder for macro or long
telephoto work.  Oh sure, someone will say, it CAN be done, but it's not
the best tool for the application.  Same applies when using split-grade
neutral density filters.  They're best with SLRs.

- -GH