Subject: Re: [Leica] Strobe with IIIF
From: Ken Wilcox <wilcox@tir.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 09:27:41 -0400

>I have never had occasion to use flash on my IIIF - ( it is bad enough on
>the M series with the slow sync speed- let alone one twenty-fifth on the
>IIIF) where ought the red dial be set to sync with electronic flash?
>Many thanks,
>Doug

If your IIIf is a red dial, the synch speed is 1/50. When you set the
shutter at 1/50, set your dial at 20. This is the correct setting. You can
check that it is synching properly an modify the dial setting if needed. (I
have one IIIf that is dead on and a IIf that is not.)

Do this: Set your shutter at 1/50 and remove the lens and baseplate from
your camera. Slide a white index card inside your camera where the film
usually is. Attach your flash to the camera via synch cord. Aim the flash
into the camera through the lens opening. Press the shutter button while
looking past the flash into the camera. If the synch is correct, you will
see a white rectangle showing the full film aperture. (36mm wide) If there
appears to be a "fuzzy" edge on the rectangle or if it is too narrow, try
different dial settings until you find the correct one.

The other option is to shoot some pictures with flash and see what happens.

Cheers!

kw

- ----
Ken Wilcox                             Carolyn's Personal Touch Portraits
LHSA, MEA, LAW                      preferred---> <wilcox@mail.tir.com>
                                                     <kwilcox@gfn.org>