Subject: Re: [Leica] Strobe with IIIF
From: Ken Wilcox <wilcox@tir.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 12:44:24 -0400

It is the ring under the shutter speed dial. Black on the early IIIf and
red on later ones. (The IIIf, BTW, is an EXTREMELY fine camera!) The RD
also had an improved (lighter as I understand it) shutter mechanism that
allowed for faster flash synch.

The ring does adjust the time the flash is fired. This allowed for many
different types of flash bulbs as well as strobe to be used.

Cheers!

kw

>I've heard the term "red dial" tossed around alot with respect to the
>IIIf, but I've never heard an explanation of what it is.  I assume this
>is either the shutter speed dial or the ring just under it.  Having
>never used a flash with my IIIf, I was never concerned with the ring,
>but now (especially after Ken's post) I'm curious.  I couldn't find an
>explanation in my Leica "bible".
>
>Does the ring simply adjust the time at which the flash is fired?
>
>And what's the significance of "red dial" versus "black dial"?

- ----
Ken Wilcox                             Carolyn's Personal Touch Portraits
LHSA, MEA, LAW                      preferred---> <wilcox@mail.tir.com>
                                                     <kwilcox@gfn.org>