Subject: Re: [Leica] Ricoh 28mm lens for M6
From: Thomas Kachadurian <kach@freeway.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 23:51:47 -0400

At 08:34 AM 8/21/98 +0900, Paul C. Brodek wrote:
>This lens was prduced by Ricoh in Leica screw mount, not bayonet

snip
>but performs as well as the
>Minolta Rokkor-M 28/2.8.  An L-M adaptor is needed to use the lens on
>an M-series Leica.

Paul have you done these tests for yourself? I own and use both a 28 Rokkor
and a GR-1. The GR has a good lens and is a great tiny package, but it
isn't even in the same league as the Rokkor. At 2.8 and even into f4 the
light fall-off is dramatic in the corners on the GR lens. The GR lens is
equally sharp edge to edge, but at its best doesn't have the resolving
power of the Rokkor.

Disclaimer: 1. For my money the Rokkor is the unsung hero among lenses you
can mount on your Leica M. 2. The GR-1 camera lacks the control that allows
you to know that you have focused exactly, and is so light it is difficult
to assure that you are holding it steadily, and releasing its shutter
smoothly, and that may be the source some loss of image quality.

Tom
Thomas Kachadurian
WEB PAGE: http://members.aol.com/kachaduria