Subject: Re: [Leica] Uncomfirmed Leica M7 Specs
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 08:51:15 +0200

Jim Brick wrote:
> So I'm wondering... why would I want to regress toward automation when I
> came here to find a quick simple manual camera? I guess there's a lot of
> people who started out using an M camera and want to progress(?) regress(?)
> toward automation without moving to the R system. Having a complete R
> system, I like the M6 Classic just exactly how it is. It is indeed, a great
> camera.

Hi Jim,
I do not really agree with the regress-progress analogy here. The M6 IS
a great camera. It is so versatile, I hardly ever miss any SLR
functionality in most the real life situations I encounter. But, using
it as my main system, I would like functionalities that would make it
even faster to use in an even wider set of situations.

Aperture priority automatism gives a better chance of success for the
first picture in a series, when you suddenly see an opportunity and do
not want to blow it by bringing the camera to the eye before shooting
(or by fiddling with a hand held meter). This is more crucial with
slides than with negatives of course. I shoot Velvia 90 pct of the time
and have too often missed the exposure on that first shot. AE also
allows more efficient 'discreet', hip level, shooting, for example in
crowds with the 21mm. I know this is not fool proof and that the success
rate in those situations will be linked to the metering patterns, but it
will be higher than with the current system.

TTL flash metering with a useable sync speed will also bring more
reactivity and versatility in a wide area of photographic situations. It
will be there for those who wish to use it and does not have any
negative consequence fo those who do not wish to use it. If sync speed
remains what it is, TTL flash metering (à la R6.2) still is a "plus",
isn't it ?

Friendly regards
Alan,
Brussels-Belgium.