Subject: RE: [Leica] lens evaluations
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 15:17:26 +0200

Erwin,

Thanks again for your minutiously gathered data. I am totally of your
opinion regarding the non-relevence of general statements on the optical
performances of lenses covering whole ranges from any manufacturer.

It is a pity you started the post by arguing with statements by Jim
Williams reproduced by others in the present discussion list, seemingly
without his knowledge (or I missed something somewhere). These statements
were made under other circumstances, on his Web site and/or within other
threads in other groups, and seemingly with other priorities than optical
benchmarks in mind. I find it quite unfair that these quotes have been
passed on to us the way they were. I personally regard Jim Williams as one
of the most honest and documented Internet contributors in the 35mm RF
field, and his contributions on Usenet or on his Web site, as well as his
availability to help out users on very concrete real-life issues, have been
very precious to me, and I believe to many others. Just like your
contributions, Erwin, in your own fields of interest, which have led to all
my M lenses buying decisions (financially, I do not know if I ought to
thank you or blame you for that though....).

To go back to the point you make on brand generalisations, and with which I
agree through my own fragmental and empiric experience, I must add that it
seems unfortunately a temptation for some of the most vocal Leica fans on
the Net to issue such general statements, imposing on the reader the point
of view that the red dot brand hardly ever produces anything less than
perfection, in particular in the optical field. There really is a tendency
to show symptoms of 'fixed beliefs in Leica superiority', to the point of
agressively deriding anyone questionning such a belief. I understand very
well this could get on the nerves of less biased users, and it certainly
gets on mine. Though it does not prevent me from also understanding the
temptation of excessive brand loyalty in a field where many people spend
much more than a reasonable portion of their disposable income.

So, I'll stop here by thanking you again for bringing in some sanity, facts
and figures to an over-heated debate: you just made me like my 50mm
Summicron-M a little more....

Friendly regards
Alan
Brussels-Belgium

PS  A pity you have not had the opportunity to put the G line of lenses
through the same motions as the M line. Hard facts are really lacking in
that field...

PPS  Have you ever explained, Erwin, your position regarding the notion of
'bokeh' ? And if so could you pleae be kind enough as to repost to me
privately your own analysis of that notion ? Thanks beforehand.

On Sunday, August 23, 1998 10:17 AM, Erwin Puts [SMTP:imxputs@knoware.nl]
wrote:
> Recently a long quote by Jim Williams (Contax G fame) hs been circulated
on
> the LUG. I at first resisted temptation to react. Still some comment is
> appropriate I assume. First of all his text is full of statements, not a
> single one prooved or explained. He is also demagogially clever ("superb"
> Zeiss lenses versus "computer designed" Summicrons). It is however not my
> goal to refute Mr Williams. He seems convinced of his opinion and so be
it.
> At stake is the reputation of Leica or its "reputational myth-making".
And