Subject: Re: [Leica] Ricoh 28mm lens for M6
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 22:41:04 +0200

I was in London today and by coincidence saw and boutht this issue. I agree
with the conclusions in the article, although I must say that I have never used
the 28mm Elmarit. But certainly compared to any of the Japanese SLR lenses I
have tried, the GR1 is every bit as good. That is why I yesterday bought
another GR1 to replace the one I lost last Sunday. I handled the Minilux at
Foto Nivo in Amsterdam (price: 1300 NLG), but it was too big, the pushbuttons
were too small, the fastest shutter speed was slower than the GR1...So I bought
the GR1 at a shop in Haarlem for 900 NLG, roughly $450 which is what I had paid
at Smile Photo in NYC for the departed one. It is in my opinion the greatest
pocket camera around.

Nathan

James Harper wrote:

> UK Amateur Photographer magazine dated 22 August, 1998 has a test report
> by its editor on the Ricoh GR1 compact camera which says inter alia: "The
> 28mm F2.8 GR lens is one of the best wideangle lenses for the 35mm format
> ever produced. That it's stuck on a compact does not make it inferior, just
> unnoticed."  And also: "...earlier this year Ricoh released the GR1's lens
> as a separate unit in Leica M bayonet fitting."
>
> JH

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium