Subject: RE: [Leica] Ricoh 28mm lens for M6
From: jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 11:29:00 +0000

I managed to do a deal to acquire one of these lenses at the tail end of
last year, I was then the mug who lent it to AP for what turned out to be
months for them to test it. I'd say it's a very good lens, maybe not a
lens of Leica quality though.
It was not released in M mount, (Keith Wilson the editor of AP who wrote
that article is not a man of detail sadly...) it's available in screw
mount and then you apply an adapter to it for M use, the finder is large
and less translucent than Leitz finders though not needed on several M
finders of course.
My largest disappointment with it was flare shooting into the light,
though I gather that some Leitz lenses are not completely free from this
problem either. It's sharp enough and perhaps it greatest strength is the
size. It's maybe half the size of a Leitz m-lens and meters on the M6
unlike the earliest 28 M-Elmarit.

Price wise it's around œ750 new from Rare Camera Co./ Camera Fair in
London or the Leica dealer in Croydon. They offer the more common chrome
versions, the black version was only a 1000 piece availability, if you'd
like mine it's yours for œ550. (I've seen a reasonable 50/1.4-M for
sale).
I can mail you seprately the whole review that AP (and myself) wrote,
including performannce figures if you send me your name and e-mail (I
can't see who you are on Windows messaging). Erwin also mentions it in
passing in his new 50/1.4 review.

Jem Kime
jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk