Subject: [Leica] Re: filters and lens hoods and step-up rings
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 09:44:06 -0700

Simple answer. If you want to use a lens hood (you should), you will a.)
have to buy filters the correct size for each lens, or, b.) use a step-up
ring and buy a screw-in lens hood (several different brands available, B+W
being one) and screw it into the filter. By the time you buy the step-up
ring and the screw-in hood, you might as well have the proper filter for
each lens.

If your 35/1.4 is an ASPH, the late version of the Heliopan filters allow
the lens hood to be attached (slide over the filter), and on the Heliopan
polarizer, the numbered ring shows (pokes) through the lens shade cut-out
so the filter can be turned to the proper polarizing position without
removing the shade. Manna from heaven!

Jim