Subject: Re: [Leica] Vapourware M7 vs Existing M6
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 07:53:28 -0500

At 10:09 AM 8/24/98 +0000, you wrote:

>times (I can say that with ease, as you can't libel the dead). It is
>unfortunate that the M4 is so popular with collectors, as I believe
>that it is a superb camera, more like an 'off-road' M4-2 than something

It IS  a superb camera, but so is the M6. We ought to be grateful Leica
makes it as good as they do.

>to be stuck in a glass case. And, as for metering, I find that after
>the first quarter of a million exposures or so, you tend to go native.

That is the case, but on the other hand, if I were working in black and
white, I wouldn't worry so much, but even with negative film, if the
exposure is off even one stop, it effects the quality of the final image.
Overexposure fills the shadows up too much, and underexposure enhances
grain terribly. When working in the hail mary types of light, it's
important to be totally accurate. If the master of technique needs a meter
even though he shows he can live without it (Ansel Adams, Moonrise
Hernandez) then who am I to say I don't need meters?

;-)
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

We can never be born enough. We are human beings; for whom birth is a
supremely welcome mystery that happens only and whenever we are faithful to
ourselves.

- - e. e. cummings