Subject: Re: [Leica] Vapourware M7 vs Existing M6
From: reviews_ed.hifichoice@dennis.co.uk (Alan Sircom)
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 10:09:54 +0000

Then, Eric Welch wrote:

>Some people is not terribly reliable. I do remember there are fewer
>parts
>in an M4-2 than in an M3/4 like amount of things to adjust on the
>shutter.
>But people don't seem to complain about the M4-2/P/6 shutter being
>unreliable, no? On the rangefinder too. But my M6 focuses just fine. No
>matter how dedicated a company is, they still have to work within  a
>budget
>I suppose.

>If you ask me, any benefit from the minimal "better" quality of an M4
>over
>it's descendants is not worth not having a meter, or saving a buck -
>they
>are overpriced due to collectors. (Just an opinion, mind you based on my
>being a user).

Your are right, the phrase 'some people' is not very reliable. It is a
cop-out for making statements without qualification in print, similar
to 'undisclosed sources'. However, if you wish me to disclose my
sources, I can gladly do so, citing 'right or replace' techniques used
by the more modern Leitz/Leica on its M4-P and M6, largely to keep the
M-series economic against the Japanese onslaught.

I still maintain that the superb engineering of the M4 produces a
better camera than the later models - although this is not something I
can back up with personal experience as I only have an M6. I did used
to assist a photographer who used the M4 and exchanged it for an M6
soon after it came out and almost immediately returned it because it
was more 'plasticky', but he was a curmudgeonly old sod at the best of
times (I can say that with ease, as you can't libel the dead). It is
unfortunate that the M4 is so popular with collectors, as I believe
that it is a superb camera, more like an 'off-road' M4-2 than something
to be stuck in a glass case. And, as for metering, I find that after
the first quarter of a million exposures or so, you tend to go native.