Subject: Re: [Leica] newbie ( R vs. M )
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 07:54:08 -0500

At 10:52 PM 8/24/98 -0400, you wrote:

>I think the determining factor when choosing the R or M would be:  a) do I
>want to do macro photography, and b) do I want to use lenses greater than
>135mm.  If you answer yes to just one of these, go R!

Those are definitely two questions, but there are several other reasons for
picking an SLR over a rangefinder. (I don't think one should have to
choose, get both!) but that's something only an individual can answer for
themselves. One would be how accurate do they want composition, in relation
of objects near and far to each other. Also how much they'll use flash, and
other reasons.

Rangefinders have lots of reason to own as well. We have covered them many
times. But I think main reasons are size, weight, speed lenses wider than
90mm focus better, quiet shutter, no mirror...and it's just plain wonderful.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Miracles are not contrary to nature, only what we know about nature.

St. Augustine.