Subject: RE: [Leica] Photokina release
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 07:18:27 +0200

 Jim,

Thanks for being the first to share the info. It is a very frustrating
feeling to read certain types of mail during the weeks before a major
release because of those "I know but I cannot tell you" allusions which
keep popping up. The non-disclosure agreements signed when getting a
preview briefing create an (unavoidable ?) double measure of knowledge. The
TTL M6 has been mentionned (and sketched) as far back as last January in a
German photo magazine.

Now that I know that I will not (have to) buy a M7 this fall, I suppose the
TTL M6 will come in both "classic" and HM flavours. Is that right ? Anyway,
the new M lenses, which BTW have both been mentionned here quite a few
times last spring, are designed with the HM in mind. I wish my archives
could retrace who first mentionned the APO 135/3.4 here: that is a really
well informed gentleman.

Now, to go back to lamenting mode: I do not believe those M releases will
be enough to attract the badly needed new massive wave of M buyers. It is
not the expected G antidot.

Thanks again for bringing the scoop.

Friendly regards
Alan
Brussels-Belgium

On Tuesday, August 25, 1998 11:15 PM, Jim Brick
[SMTP:jimbrick@photoaccess.com] wrote:
> Here it is folks. Read it and weep. Straight from the Red Dot Smiley
Face.

> No electronic M7. Erwin, you win. But you already knew this.
> M6 with TTL flash, SCA3000. Same mechanical shutter. Same mechanical
camera!
> APO 90/2 M
> APO 135/3.4 M
> APO 35-70/2.8 R, non rotating front element :)
> (this is the new little sister to the 70-180 APO zoom)
> If it performs anything like the 70-180, this is going to be a real
winner!
> That's almost a gaggle of APO lenses! WOW
>
> A flash for both M & R (one flash unit, not two). I don't know any more
> than that on this one.
>
> Two Kodak Germany made "Carousel" Leica projectors and new Leica
projector
> lenses. One plain, the other has multimedia capabilities.
>
> There are other things that I can't remember, because they didn't
interest me.

> So, the electronic M7 speculation and dreaming can stop for another
couple
> of years. The mechanical M6 is alive and well for awhile longer. Some
very
> interesting lenses are coming out to say the least! I personally was
hoping
> that they would come out with a 35-70/2.8 APO zoom. And they did! I
> couldn't believe that the Kyocera 35-70/4, rotating front, screw-on lens
> shade, was going to be Leica's wider angle flagship zoom when they have
> such a stunning lens like the 70-180. I realize the Kyocera lens performs
> well, but it's not in the same league as the 70-180. I was also hoping
for
> a new 24/2.8 R lens. Maybe I missed it... wishful thinking!
>
> Oh yeah... I played with the Leica Digilux today. Took a few pictures
with
> it. Very nice little digital camera. Yes, it is a Fuji MX-700 but sitting
> side by side, the Leica Digilux really looks great. Leica did a good job
of
> making it a classy camera. And it works really well too. On the Digital
> Camera e-mail list, the Fuji has received very very good reviews. It is a
> pocketable and very capable digital point & shoot camera. Uses
Lithium-Ion
> rechargeable batteries, which go a long way toward rectifying the "eat
> batteries for lunch" digital camera problem. Battery failure is the
NUMBER