Subject: Re: [Leica] newby / Black Tape
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 09:30:44 +0200

Jim and Joseph,

I tape my black M6 and do not feel it is crap. When I wear dark clothes,
the camera becomes near invisible. An invisible camera is more discreet
than a visible camera. The red dot and white markings attract attention
on the fact that there is a camera dangling on the t-shirt, not because
they say 'Leica' but because they are bright red and white.

Regarding the anti-theft idea: in a crowd, it is true a hungry thief
will choose anything he believes he can resell. But it seems logical to
think he'll concentrate first on the flashier equipment: big bags, well
known camera brands, Rolex-like watches, etc. I travel quite often and
usually not sheltered by tourist groups or high end hotels. I feel much
more relaxed with my small M equipment in the crowded buses of
Casablanca for example than with the N AF setup I had carried through
that town before.

I believe that this is not a "false sense of security" even though it is
generally quite obvious I am not a local.

I also avoid the gear bags altogether. When I want all my M equipment (4
lenses + polarizer + film) on me, I use a cheap dark blue nylon
ultralight photo anorak, with dark blue zippers: as long as you do not
rub yourself against me, nothing indicates that there are valuables in
there. I also dress very cheaply and do not wear any branded accessories
(watches, sneakers, polo shirts, shades, etc).

To tape the brand logos seems to me to be coherent with this whole
pattern of behaviour. Since I do this very crudely, my M6, when visible,
looks quite unattractive. I am positive I do not look like "first
choice" for any greedy would-be thief and gladly leave that role to
others.

Now, I wonder why this kind of thread always relates to 'foreign
countries': your own neighbourhood and home town are probably just as
dangerous regarding theft and burglary than most of the usual travel
destinations. I behave the same way in Brussels as I do in Tashkent or
Tbilissi. Brussels is the only place I ever got mugged....

Friendly regards
Alan
Brussels-Belgium