Subject: Re: [Leica] summilux 35 asph
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 12:06:19 -0400

B.D.

It seems reasonable that the Elves of Sölms discovered what to do with one
aspherical surface that had previously taken two. They seem to have
discovered it early enough to make the first version very limited in
production. I don't think they would make a lens design 'collectible' on
purpose, since a 'collectible' body like the "I'm Stuck" or one of the
wedding issues is merely a regular camera with a new set of clothes ( Like
the emperor?). My belief is that they found a better way to make the lens as
effective, or moreso, optically, and with less weight, lower production
costs, and possibly better quality control. Of course, those out there left
with the 'obsolete' older version must be crying all the way to the bank!
Dan'l
dwpost@msn.com