Subject: Re: [Leica] Photokina release
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 12:17:26 -0400

Y'all
I have the distinct impression, and you'll correct me if I am wrong! But-
Leica seems to ignore the pack mentality of most of the rest of the camera
industry. Everyone else seems to rush designs into production, before they
have been fully tested, or optimised. I seem to see a lot of new lenses
advertised when I read Pop Photo (Mea Culpa!) but they don't impress me. I
can't see the advantage of a 'standard' zoom that has only a 4.5 or 5.6
maximum aperture.
I think Leica, for the most part, has, and is, slowly making history by
comng up with relatively 'fast' zoom lens. Unfortunately, such precision,
and careful research takes time; they can't work out all the 'bugs'
overnight.  For years the camera industry, particularly the Japanese made
great inroads into the market using Leitz and Zeiss designs- made some good
lenses too, but when it came to introducing innovations, they were somewhat
underwhelming. All the while, Leitz/Leica has been plodding along, and now
is starting to introduce some pretty amazing glass. It'll take the rest of
the industry a long time and a lot of back engineering to come close. I just
hope the prices aren't so high on the Leica stuff that I won't be able to
get some of it for my own!
In the meantime, I shall endeavor to try and take as much of that older
obsolete stuff off your hands as I can!  :)
Basking in the light,
Dan'l
dwpost@msn.com