Subject: Re: [Leica] newbie
From: Bud Cook <budcook@ibm.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 11:27:24 -0500

Actually, the M body has a coincident rangefinder which means that two images
appear that are merged to obtain the correct focus.  This type of viewfinder can
also be used as a split image rangefinder as well.  Another method of focusing
with the M camera is simply to set the lens to a hyperfocal distance and shoot it
like an old Kodak Brownie.  This approach works much better with an M than with an
SLR.  I always use this approach when shooting from something like a moving train.

The coincident rangefinder provides very fast focus once you become accustomed to
it.

The R4 through the R8 SLR's have interchangeable focusing screens so that you can
choose which one suits your purpose.  A focusing screen with a split imaging spot
in the center is available and is generally the standard screen supplied with the
camera body.

Regards,
Bud