Subject: Re: [Leica] TTL
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 11:53:27 -0400

I think the question of whether TTL suits the professional or not is pretty
much an excercise in personal tastes. I don't think it has that much bearing
on what I think is the thrust of Leica's efforts. They are keeping up with
the marketplace, albeit, at their own pace. I feel they perceived a demand
for TTL flash, and are meeting that demand as best they can, and in a
fashion that will make their cameras useful to the widest possible base of
photographers. If they keep the non-TTL M6 in production, then it will be
because they see a demand for a simpler cheaper camera.
Camera makers perceive a need or demand for something, Peter Gowland and the
discussion his Gowlandflex illustrates the point well, and they make a
camera with those features. It either takes off, like the early Leicas, and
stay viable for a long time, or like the 'DISK' cameras, falls by the
wayside.
I am sure, however, that Leica will not add 'bells and whistles' just to
please any possible market. I do think that they will remain a venue for
carefully thought out innovations.
My $.02 worth!
Dan'l
dwpost@msn.com