Subject: Re: [Leica] New M6 with TTL
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 20:02:31 -0700

Andre Jean Quintal wrote:
> At 09:59 +0000 28/08/98, Donal Philby wrote:
> >Even the close ups of glasses of Pepsi or Coke are shot with strobe
> >systems synced to go off at 24 frames per second to get the crispness
> >that 1/30th of a second can't record on film.
>
>         1/ Is there a place on the Internet where i coould
>         read up on this ? I was aware of the notion but never
>         saw it demonstrated as in "Sequence A" VS "Sequence B"
>         (strobe, no strobe).

Andre, I don't know of any.  Check a film book.  I know the strobes can
be rented in Los Angeles.  They are not high powered, but then only used
for close ups anyway.

>         2/ Don's post describes an EXCELLENT reason why
>         the new LEICA M6 / TTL is going to be "hot news"
>         in photo shops. It opens up a lot of possibilities.
>         Even the reluctant conservative "classics lovers"
>         will find themselves carried over when they
>         see how simple much more sophisticated lighting
>         schemes can be implemented with a TTL flash
>         solution.
>
>          Then: MULTI flash TTL : Ho!  Ho!  Ho!

  Metz already has cordless ttl for multiples with the 50 and 40Mz.  But
seeing the work of people such as David alan Harvey using M6s and little
thyristor strobes is exciting.  I have been doing more and more with
less and less big strobes and more with acentuating existing.  Partly it
is style, partly not wanting to carry 300 pounds of strobes and grip
gear, partly finding that once you start lighting with big stuff, you
have to light it all.  But the little things can pull out a photo where
it would have been boring or ugly before.

donal
- --
Donal Philby
San Diego