Subject: Re: [Leica] New M6 with TTL
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 08:47:07 -0700

Roy J. Feldman wrote:

> It isn't strobes but HMI lights used for  coke and Pepsi ads. The light from
> these is daylight temp and is  pulsing which can be synched to film speed.
> They are often used for still work and come in a variety of wattage's.
> ( oh before you run out and get one the bulbs run +++$2000).
Roy,
I was not talking about the people scenes and so on.  These are very
specific strobes that sync to the camera.  They are used for the close
ups of bubbles and other small moving things.  Though, perhaps there is
a new technology with the HMIs that do the same.  I know there are both
continuous HMIs (that must be used for still photos) and pulsing type
which are less expensive and acceptable for film.

I've not used HMIs but seen them used by fashion shooters who rent the
studio occasionally.  Usually one light over photographer's shoulder.
Very boring, very simple, and needs 40amp circuit.  I've seen the film
and they might as well have used flash on camera.  And we're talking BIG
names here. When I watch these shoots, I always think: I wish I could
get good paying jobs that simple to do.  But I'd be bored.

Sorry I wandered off topic a bit.

donal
- --
Donal Philby