Subject: [Leica] m6 v. r7 - sharpness issue
From: Doug Herr <71247.3542@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 01:15:12 -0400

On Sat, 29 Aug 1998, Arturo wrote:

<SNIP>
>I have always thought that a 35mm camera (especially and M6) belongs in
your >hands and should be kept very mobile (a major attribute of a 35mm
camera).  I >dislike tripods, so I probably never get the most out of my
Leica glass!!

Arturo,

I agree, a 35mm camera is hand-held camera but while acknowledging the
likely loss of image sharpness, keep in mind the mobility of the hand-hel=
camera permits many photographs to be made which would be impossible with=
tripod.

I suspect at shutter speeds of 1/60 or faster (without rigorous testing)
that my big lenses (400 and 560 f/6.8) are equally sharp with the shoulde=
stock as with a tripod because on a tripod the camera body with it's
flopping mirror is at the end of a long unsupported lever arm while with
the shoulder stock the body's vibration is damped simply because it's bei=
ng
pressed against my face.

- -Doug