Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica quality (longish)
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 1998 14:52:08 +0200

Quality control problems and/or statements regarding a negative
evolution of QC at Leica, come very high in the frequency of thread
subjects on this list. Much more so than on any other similar list and
group I have participated to up to now.

Is there no way to have real statistics from the maker, the importers
and/or the dealers as to the evolution of quality control related
complaints from customers through the recent years? I'm sure they have a
very clear picture of the situation, since they have to manage the
logistics, the human resources and the whole liability paperwork related
to the processing of defective goods.

Is there no way for these people to go public with this, or at least to
make some statement about the current situation ?

The 'horror story' threads distill tons of FUD among current and
prospective users. If I have no complaint whatsoever regarding my small
personal experience with Leica quality, the sheer quantity of complaints
and negative opinions expressed here is preventing me from advising
friends to buy Leica if build quality and reliability are high on their
list of priorities. These complaints and negative opinions also make me
hesitate in my purchasing plans of new equipment: I cannot afford
wasting thousands of dollars and have no wish at all to spend that money
and then get entangled in aftersales bureaucracy.

The Leica world is not limited to this list, but I'm sure that the sum
of what gets published here and in other forums relating to QC problems
gets echoed, directly and indirectly, to most of the prospective Leica
customers.

So, please, all my colleague users, do not spread an image of degraded
workmanship if this is not based on real and verifiable experience. I
have read posts of users fueling Leica QC condemnation for a speck of
dust in a lens or for an almost invisible mark on a body, and other
posts arguing that the process of degradation is evident since the first
milligram of plastic entered Wetzlar. The whole discussion then gets
unbalanced and might be unjustly damageable to a company whose
reputation is precisely built on the quality of workmanship.

An even mor urgently, please, all you Leica people who make a living out
of our spending, please come forward and clarify the real situation on
this strategic matter.

Thanks beforehand.

Friendly regards
Alan