Subject: Re: [Leica] Slave Unit
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 1998 08:17:02 +0200

Nathan,

You are absolutely right about the way you identify the prosecuted
parties in the mentionned cases.

It is not admissible that anyone should "pre-judge" the case in favour
of any party as it has been done on this list the very day the
prosecution was announced. The subject is both painful and complex. It
needs debates based on facts and testimonies, not on hearsay or
preconceptions. If historians have records as to what exactly happened
around the Leitz company (and not only the Leitz family) at the time, it
is legitimate that they should communicate about them. For others, such
as myself, the only attitude possible is to wait for the outcome of the
lawsuit, and to take note of the arguments of the parties involved.

It is about time justice and even history closes cases that should have
been resolved right after the war and were not resolved then for a whole
series of reasons, partly related to the conflicting international
situation prevailing then in Germany and Europe.

I would also like to know exactly what the Leitz company did during the
nazi years, how much they lost or profited from that racist
dictatorship. Most of all, I will scrutinize the way the current
management manages the current lawsuit. And THAT may or may not prevent
me from remaining a Leica customer.

Friendly regards
Alan
Brussels-Belgium