Subject: Re: [Leica] New Hasselblad 35mm Rangefinder Camera
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 1998 20:38:19 -0600

At 03:27 AM 02/09/98 +0100, you wrote:
>> > Has anyone seen or heard of the new Hasselblad rangefinder camera??
>EI can think of quite a few reasons I might want one, mostly
>shooting travel photos and stock, but it is certainly not for everyone.

Hasselblad's marketing philosophy has taken a sour turn over the last few
years, IMO.  They introduced a CB range of lenses in 60, 80 and 160 mm
focal lengths, which cost less, and which have slightly lower optical
quality and physical design than their CF and FE lenses, hoping to attract
new customers.  They have mainly concentrated on high-end, high quality
equipment in the past.
  Then they went against their longstanding policy of system compatibility
by introducing the ArcBody, admittedly with outstanding Rodenstock
Apo-Grandagon lenses (the 75mm lens is not an Apo).  By doing so, it looks
as if they are trying to take on a chunk of the 4x5 view camera format
market share.
   Now, they have done something which amounts to heresy - moving away from
the medium format system that has been their lifeblood for half a century,
and going after a chunk of the 35mm rangefinder market, with a camera
looking for definable applications.
   I hope that some day someone in their board room will question their
marketing strategy if it flops.  That remains to be seen.  I would suggest
that when many photo enthusiasts look at a new product on the market and
ask who it is aimed at, then it is quite likely that the manufacturer is
taking a considerable risk by releasing it.

- -GH