Subject: Re: [Leica] Erwin and TMZ
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 1998 07:09:39 -0500

At 10:08 AM 9/4/98 +0200, you wrote:

>I would like to get the best results with the TMZ at EI3200.
>Do you have some kind of magic recipe?
>I usually use TMax developper (1+4) but the results are not consistent.
>Are there any tricks I'm missing?

Could be.

All chemicals should be within 2 degrees of each other. So if you're at 75
degrees, even the photo flo and wash need to be within 2 degrees for best
results. Agitation should be consistent. Use rapid fixer, not the powdered
stuff. And don't use 68 degrees. I prefer 85 degrees but 75 is not the norm
for TMax films. That's what they're optimized to be processed at. Higher
temps keeps times down (shorter wet times are better for grain - though not
as much as in older films). Fix for five minutes, wash for 5 minutes in an
archival washer. Don't use hardener (sulfuric acid is what's in rapid fix
for hardener) in the fix. It's not needed. All it does is increase required
washing time.

I've always had very consistent results with P3200.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch