Subject: [Leica] B&W fashions
From: Alex Brattell <alex@zetetic.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 1998 02:31:34 +0100

>I am a bit worried that over-usage of b&w in widespread campaigns and
>XP2 throwaway boxes will end up in overkill and defuse the radicality of
>the b&w option in modern photography as it has developed ever since high
>quality color has been commonly available. It could even end up changing
>the perception viewers may have when confronted to old classics, dating
>back to the days before colour was reliable, and to high quality
>contemporary work. These days, grayscale is a Photoshop option among
>dozens of others, it is trendy today and will seem old hat tomorrow.
>Soon to be perceived as a marketing trick of the nineties rather than a
>quest for the "color of the soul" , and that perception might influence
>the way all b&w work will be looked upon in a few years time. We live in
>a world that considers it necessary to colorize old movies and then
>promotes contemporary perfumes through grayscale cliches. I'm afraid
>that the b&w option is soon to become meaningless...
>
>Friendly regards
>Alan.

Monochrome photography is a proven medium, albeit a young one (a baby
version of etching!).
It has held great influence as a novelty, then as an innovator that has
touched us all.
It will always drift in and out of fashion, and will always have its adherents.
I don't believe that a phase of fashionable approval demeans it  in any way.
To the contrary, a revival always introduces something to people who will
take to it,  keeping it alive and moving forward.

Black and white photography is a grammar of meaning, like any other means of
expression - a Photoshop grayscale option cannot impart content unless it
was intended, or you have a lucky and inspired day. Meaning and resonance
can be acidental but never automatic.

(Oh no - this was OFF TOPIC).

Alex