Subject: Re: [Leica] (Off Topic) Ilford CAP-40S Cibachrome processor
From: Simon Ogilvie <simon_ogilvie@ionica.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 12:34:04 +0100

Ken Iisaka wrote:
> CAP-40S is long out of production, and the chance of being able to locate on
> in Japan is slim.  I am therefore looking into those still available.  So
far,
> I have gathered information on Fujimoto/Lucky CP-31, and Durst Printo.
> If any of you LUGnuts have had any experience with them, I'd like to hear
> about them.

I have a Durst Printo.  There are two versions in current production:
one that accepts 20" wide paper and the one that I own that accepts
12" width paper.  Both versions are modular, so you just assemble the
system you need from easy to connect blocks.  I just have a basic
setup of "intro" unit plus two thermostatic heated tanks.  This keeps
it very small compared to other machines (the 20" Printo is huge!).
Each tank takes 2.5 litres of chemical to fill, and you have to use
that much chemistry even if you are only developing a single print.
This is fine if you are doing lost of printing, but I found I was
wasting
chemicals as I just didn't use it enough.  The system is very flexible
though and you can set the time in each tank using different cogs.
I've used mine only for RA4, but it can also be used for B&W or
Ilfochrome if the settings are changed.

I don't use mine any more, and will sell it when I get round to it.
As this is off topic for the Leica list, drop me a line personally
if you want to know any more about it.

Simon.