Subject: [Leica] Lightweght Telyts [was: Novaflex Telyt-R Mount]
From: Doug Herr <71247.3542@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 22:44:22 -0400

On  Wed, 9 Sep 1998, Jack F. Matlock, Jr wrote:

>A final question:  Why did Leica stop production of the f:6.8 Telyt-Rs i=
>the 400mm and 560mm focal lengths?  The faster -- and doubtless much
>improved -- current telephotos, with all their virtues, are not real
>replacements because of their much greater weight and bulk, not to speak=

of
>their cost.  With modern high-speed films, f:6.8 is quite adequate for
most
>of the telephoto work I do.  Is there any prospect for redesigned slower=
,
>lighter and less expensive long telephotos than those currently offered
for
>the Leica R?

Jack,

I can't help with your Novoflex questions but I've noticed the same thing=

in the Leica-R lens line.  The f/6.8 Telyts are the most hand-holdable lo=
ng
lenses I've ever used in 30 or so years of photography, have an exception=
al
bang-for-the-buck ratio, and it's a real shame Leica no longer makes them=
=2E =

It makes no difference to me 'cuz I've got mine but many people will miss=

the joy of these lenses unless they stumble upon a used one and get reall=
curious.

To summarize, a hand-held long lens allows me many more dynamic photograp=
hs
of wild animals than I can make with a tripod-mounted lens and the 400 an=
560 f/6.8 Telyts are the best for this work (the similar Novoflex lenses
are next best).  The better imaging properties of the new APO lenses woul=
be lost if used hand-held and would be useless if I can't get the
photograph 'cus it's stuck to a tripod.  IMHO.

Doug Herr
Sacramento