Subject: Re: [Leica] Disguising My M6
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant98@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 21:59:41 PDT

G.G.  wrote:
>Thanks to those who answered seriously, I appreciate the help.  Sorry,
to those who heard it all before ... I hadn't, and just wanted to ask
the experts for honest advise.  No thanks to those who couldn't help
being uselessly sarcastic.  It diminishes the value of any
forum.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hi GG,

Please don't be offended, as this is a truly great family to be a member
of.  If you take the banter as a bunch of guys and gals with a common
interest at heart, sitting around having a beer and shooting the breeze
about things Leica, you'd problaly have the indentical comments.  None
made in offence.

As a long time family member it is interesting to see this tape subject
come up again and again from new folks due to possibly having heard that
"taping the Leica is something one should do."

You're quite right in asking or how else do we learn?  This is the
world's centre of Leica information, so obviously the same question
arises on numerous occaisions and the reason some comments seem
sarcastic. But then they'd sound exactly the same from one side of the
beer table to the other in real life. :)

My personal opinion as a Leica user for more years than I wish to count,
taping is a saviour only in the mind of the person taping! The idiots
who steal cameras and things, don't know a Leica from a Canon sure shot
P&S, they take anything they think they can make a buck from.

Someone suggested it was highly unlikely a Leica has been stolen from a
shoulder for the sake of being a Leica, probably quite true.  We as
Leica owners, users, collectors understand the dollar value far more
than people on the street, which in turn creates an element of concern
within us that "it might get stolen, therefore I should disguise it".

But this is something in our own minds and not that of the criminal
element. It doesn't matter what colour, red dot or white letters. It's
Murphies law if you are going to get ripped off, you are going to get
ripped off. Taping is truly not going to make any difference and it'll
save you getting hot and sticky goo on your fingers everytime you use
the camera.

And let me assure you that in this country Malaysia, which I'm on
assignment in at the moment, that if you taped a Leica the temperature
and humidity would have the camera covered in sticky stuff from your
finger tips to arm pits! :)

I've never taped a camera of any kind, let alone a black Leica, as I've
always felt it was a mythical protection thing of Leica photographer
lore! :)

ted

KL, Malaysia
Opening Day XI Commonwealth Games.