Subject: [Leica] Re: London and Paris
From: pieter@world.std.com (Pieter Bras)
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 17:15:04 -0400

Bruce R. Slomovitz <brslomo@erols.com> wrote:
>A couple of things I very much enjoyed seeing in Paris:  One is the
>Bagatelle Gardens.  This is a small park and rose garden within walking
>distance of the Bois de Boulogne.  You won't see it in many tour guides
>but it' beautiful and I recall having seen roses there in September.
>Take the M1 metro line in the direction of La Defense or Les Sablon (I
>forget which), then get off and walk approximately South down Avenue de
>Madrid, which becomes Boulevard du Commandant Charcot.  Turn right on
>Avenue de Bretteville.

That's a rather long walk.  An easier way is take the subway to Porte
Maillot and then autobus 244, or the subway to Pont de Neuilly and then
autobus 243.  Ask the driver to drop you off at the Parc de Bagatelle.

The trip is well worth it.  It has probably the finest rose garden in
the entire world; there are some 9000 rose plants arrayed in the French
formal style.  The rose garden is at its best in mid-June, but there are
also many other beautiful plantings as well as magnificent trees.

Admission was only 10F yet there were no crowds of tourists to contend
with -- it's definitely off the beaten path.  Bring your Leica.

- --
Pieter Bras