Subject: Re: [Leica] How could we create a searchable LUG archive ?
From: pieter@world.std.com (Pieter Bras)
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 09:16:13 -0400

phong@doan-ltd.com (phong) writes:

>If you haven't seen the photo.net Photo Q&A Forum, check it out.  I
>believe the software can be made available by the creator of the site
>(Philip Greenspun).  In my opinion, that format offers several
>improvements, among which:
>
>    It it backed by a data base search engine, so looking for a topic in
>    the archive is much easier.
>
>    Posts to the same threads are kept together, making it easier to
>    follow any paricular subject; it is also easier to resume a dormant
>    thread after a while (many months).  Threads in turn can be
>    classified, giving some semblance of order and hierarchy to the
>    whole mess.
>
>You could set things up so that subscribers can get posts on the fly,
>and/or in digest form.  I believe the Medium Format Forum uses this
>software.  I think it is just a superior technology from a user's
>point-of-view.  I don't know the point-of-view of the administrator.

I agree that the photo.net setup is pretty cool and would be a real
improvement over the current mailing list.  As matters stand now, the
archives might as well not exist, unless you are willing to copy them in
their entirety and supply your own searching software.

There's really a wealth of useful information in the archives -- if you
can find it!

What's needed is a database-backed web server that is up 24X7 and
someone to administer it.  Setting it up ought to include integrating
the existing archives into the database.  That should be
straightforward, but someone would still have to do it and verify the
results.

No doubt there will be some on this list who think the current setup is
OK and would prefer not to see any changes, certainly nothing radical.
I, too, would like to keep receiving the daily digest in e-mail form,
in order to be able to read and reply off-line.

Just my humble opinions.

- --
Pieter Bras