Subject: Re: [Leica] NEW LIST MEMBER
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 20:47:30 -0500

At 01:01 AM 9/17/98 +0000, you wrote:

>about what I might be missing by getting an R5 instead of an R7. As for the
>R8, I'm getting horror stories over here in Europe about the electronics.
>Truth? Fiction?
>
>One last question, didnt Leica make a 180 f4? Was it any good?

Fiction. The R8 has had some teething problems. Nothing Leica can't fix.
And as they mature, they will be just fine. Mine has worked flawlessly so far.

The R7 is much better than the R5 in terms of TTL flash. But it's no match
for the R8 - which has a very accurate built-in flash meter that works with
any flash, on or off camera. Only the Contax RTS III has the equivalent. I
think the Canon T-90 had something like it, but nothing nearly as functional.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

"...what a privilege it is to be a photographer, to stand mid-stream in
life and feel it swirl around you, as real as the prairie wind."   --Jim
Richardson