Subject: Re: [Leica] new Asph 90
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 07:27:38 -0500

At 10:45 AM 9/17/98 +0200, you wrote:

>skin imperfections.  I was under the impression that one of the main
>areas of use for the M-mount, 90 Summicron *was* portraiture.  Has
>Leica designed a lens that is *too* good?

That's the problem with labeling any given focal length with a given style
of photography. The 90 is great for photojournalism, portraiture, sports,
landscape. To label it a "portrait" lens is to ignore it's vastly useful
range of applications. Just like about every other lens.

Sharp is good. You can soften a lens, for fuzzy wuzzy portraits that are
flattering and what old ladies with lots of wrinkles like, with a filter.
There are no sharpening filters. Better to have an extra reserve for when
you need it than to use a less sharp lens that can't be better when it's
needed.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's intolerance.