Subject: Re: [Leica] Lens weight vs finish
From: pchefurka@plaintree.com
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 98 08:45:24 -0500

The barrel of the black lenses is made aluminum which is anodized to
provide the black finish.  Chrome can't be plated onto aluminum,
so they have to use brass bodies.  The weight difference is the
difference in the densities of the brass and aluminum.

Hi all,

I have just been studying the Leica M6 System brochure and I must admit I
am somewhat perplexed as the large percentage differences in weight of
apparently similar lenses of different finishes. For example the brochure
suggests that the Summilux-M f1.4/50 in black weighs 105gm lighter than
the silver chrome or titanium finish versions at 380gm.

Can somebody shed some light on why this is so?

TIA,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110