Subject: RE: [Leica] XP2 "Super"
From: Jeffrey Hausner <Buzz@marianmanor.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 14:55:00 -0400

	[Buzz]
	B.D.--

		Bear in mind that these are just my personal observations
and preferences based on shooting without artificial light.  Also, I do not
use a meter, but adjust exposure by eye, which I find quicker.

		I used to use Tri-X a lot, its a great all around film with
good latitude.  A very forgiving emulsion.  I have never liked T-Max for my
purposes, fast shooting with available light.  I find that it doesn't have
the latitude of other films and that the exposures have to be spot-on to get
good results.  As to the Kodak C-41 B&W film, I just don't like it.

		About XP-2 "Super."  I loved XP, I liked XP-2 better, and I
think that Super is an improvement based on having shot only about ten
rolls.  I haven't yet made any big prints from the Super, but it appears to
me to have better grain and definition than the old XP-2 without sacrificing
the latitude I need.  I seem to be getting about two stops or more either
way, though without a meter its hard to say for sure.  Also, I have always
liked the look, call it luster of Ilford films, and XP-2 Super seems to be
in this tradition.  But then, I still miss the old DuPont Velour Black.

		I will leave it to the more technically inclined to give you
a less subjective and perhaps more accurate evaluation.

	Buzz