Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 or R6.2?
From: jackson105@juno.com
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 13:56:10 -0700

How do you rate the new 35-70mm f/4.0.  Is it as sharp as the fixed focal
length lenses.  Does the macro function work well.  I am thinking about
buying a 35-70mm Leica and I am not sure if the new f/4.0 is as good as
the f/3.5 (German made) lens.
Fred Jackson
jackson105@juno.com

On Thu, 17 Sep 1998 11:02:16 -0700 Jim Laurel <jplaurel@microsoft.com>
writes:
>I use both of these cameras actively.  It's unfair to compare them
>side by
>side, because they are intended for different purposes.  Your choice
>will
>depend on your style of photography and the nature of your intended
>subjects.
>
>An M6 system is light, compact, and fairly versatile.  It's my first
>choice
>when traveling for pleasure.  For available light shooting, it is a
>better
>choice then the R 6.2 because there is less vibration and the M lens
>line
>happens to have (for the moment) some outstanding lenses for this
>purpose,
>notably the 1.4/35mm Summilux ASPH.  SLR-mechanism-related camera
>shake
>seems quite high with the R6.2 -- seemingly higher than with the
>EOS1n.  Of
>course, it goes without saying that the M6 is a paragon of
>low-vibration,
>which makes it ideal for hand-holding at low shutter speeds.
>
>The R system, on the other hand, has many capabilities the M system
>does
>not.  While the M lens line has benefitted from a spate of
>class-leading
>fixed fical length lenses recently, the R system has been getting some
>of
>the world'd best zooms and macro lenses.  And there's no question that
>an
>SLR gives you better control over composition.  If you shoot
>landscapes and
>use graduated filters, an R camera is the right choice.  For sports,
>fast
>action, etc., again R is the better choice.
>
>I keep an M6 system with 21/35/50/90 lenses.  The R6.2 has the 35-70
>f4
>vario and the 80-200 f4 vario.  When I want to travel compact yet have
>good range of lenses, I take this combination.  It all fits nicely in
>Billingham 225 bag.
>
>If the shoot requires really long telephotos with fast breaking
>action, I
>generally leave the R system home and carry a Canon EOS1n instead,
>with the
>17-35L, 28-70L, and 70-200L.  Though I know the die hard R fans will
>contest
>this, it's tough to beat the speed and responsiveness of an EOS1n with
>these
>lenses.  Even when I'll be shooting predominantly with the EOS, I
>still pack
>an M6, especially for low-light work.
>
>So, you see the R vs M comparison is one of "apples and oranges".  Use
>the
>right tool for the job at hand.
>
>--Jim Laurel

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]